Happy New Year!
2017 was a fantastic year for us as we reached 287,274 women online and offline.We cannot wait to see what is in store for us in 2018 and around the world. We are particularly excited about:
1. The Mayor of London launched on New Years Eve his 12 month #BehindEveryGreatCity campaign to mark 100 years since women won the right to vote. It will highlight the role London played in women’s suffrage, mark the progress that’s been made on women’s equality over the past 100 years and tackle gender inequality. There will be plenty of events and projects to support women and girls in the City to reach their full potential. Check out the launch video below featuring celebrities such as Naomi Campbell,Laura Whitmore and Tinie Tempah alongside firefighters, police officers, TfL engineers and Sadiq Khan to champion the fact that it is the achievements and contributions of women, from all walks of life, which make cities like London great. We can’t wait to continue our contribution of supporting women and girls in this beautiful City we call London!
2. The Black Panther movie is set to be the film of the year with an all-star line-up that includes Michael B Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett and Forest Whitaker! Black superhero’s are finally getting the spotlight they deserve and we feel this will be a game changer in the film industry of demonstrating the power of the black dollar and pound! So make sure you go out and support this incredible movie.
3. International Womens Day 2018 will be back on the 8th March. This years’ theme is ‘Push for Progress’ celebrating the progress of women all over the world. In the light of the viral #metoo campaigns and the bravery of so many women sharing their experiences this International Womens Day will be especially poignant. We hope it becomes the start of real change in the experience of women in the workplace across all sectors.
4. Queen Beyonce will be performing at Coachella in April 2018! Get ready to watch Queen Bey slay post twin babies and see what she does best. We will be sure to tune in on Beyonce’s performance and cannot wait!
5. The Royal wedding. Prince Harry will marry US actress, Meghan Markle in May 2018 at Windsor Castle. As Meghan will be the first Princess of mixed race heritage, this has sparked debates and frank conversations on race and inter-racial relationships in the UK. We are eager to see what impact Meghan will have on this issue in her new role and of course we will be tuned in for all of the wedding highlights, celebrity guests and also most importantly Meghan’s dress!
Share with us in the comments section what else you are excited about in 2018. We wish all our readers’ a happy and successful year in advance!
Follow Amaka on Twitter @amakauche247